Dental implants can improve your smile in several ways. They help fill in the gaps where teeth are missing or have been extracted, restore biting and chewing functions, and minimize some of the unwanted side effects associated with tooth loss. Dr. Cynthia Garner, the experienced dentist at Garner Family Dentistry in Mount Pleasant, SC, can improve your smile with dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a tiny metal post that is placed in the jaw bone to function as a root for tooth restorations, such as crowns, bridges, and implant-supported dentures. Since dental implants are placed directly in bone, they are extremely secure. Over time, the bone tissue actually forms around the metal implant through a natural process called osseointegration. Within a few short months, the bone and implant will be permanently fused.
In addition to being extremely secure, dental implants are also versatile. It doesn’t matter if you are only missing one tooth or an entire row. Dental implants can securely anchor bridgework or implant-supported dentures when replacing several missing or extracted teeth. When only one tooth is being replaced, a single dental implant topped with a crown is all that is needed.
Candidates for dental implants must have enough bone tissue to support the placement of the implants. An unfortunate side effect of tooth loss is bone loss, so not everyone can benefit from this exciting tooth replacement method. The skilled dentist at our office in Mount Pleasant, SC, can determine if dental implants are an option for you.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants can improve your smile in many ways. Some of their numerous benefits include:
- Versatility — Dental implants are extremely versatile. They can be used with crowns, bridgework, or dentures to replace a single tooth or an entire arch.
- Restoration of Your Smile — Dental implants help fill in the gaps where teeth have fallen out or been extracted.
- Reduced Strain — Dental implants reduce excess wear and tear on teeth that were previously compensating for the missing ones.
- Improved Functioning — Dental implants help restore biting and chewing functions by replacing missing teeth.
- Diminished Side Effects — Dental implants help reduce the unwanted side effects of tooth loss, such as shifting teeth or facial sagging.
- Preservation of Bone — Dental implants preserve bone tissue by preventing the body from reabsorbing it due to tooth loss.
Dental implants can restore your smile and improve it in several ways. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Garner to find out if you are a candidate for dental implants by calling Garner Family Dentistry in Mount Pleasant, SC, at (843) 884-6002.